Stahl Criminal Defense Lawyers
Stahl Criminal Defense Lawyers is the firm that fights for you when you are targeted by the government in an investigation, arrest or indictment. Our criminal trial attorneys have a proven record of success in protecting our clients rights and liberties
Stahl Criminal Defense is a small firm that prides itself on providing state of the art, big firm representation to our clients at a fair price. Given the size of our firm, the complexity of the cases we handle, and the in-depth attention that we devote to each matter, Stahl Criminal Defense accepts only a limited number of matters at any one time. Our approach to defending our clients allows our attorneys to provide highly personalized attention and representation utilizing a team approach most often seen with large, national firms. We only take matters that we have the time and experience to aggressively defend.
We believe that successful legal representation is a collaborative effort between the firm’s attorneys and the client. In every case, we have a clear understanding our clients’ priorities and objectives, and develop a legal strategy specifically designed to advance them.
At Stahl Criminal Defense exhaustive preparation, thorough, in-depth investigation, effective pre-trial motions, well-thought out trial strategy and trial skills honed over decades of practice have been the key to our clients’ success. In addition to our attorneys and professional staff, we have a network of highly accomplished private investigators, forensic specialists and experts across a wide array of disciplines to assist us. Many of our cases are complex, involving millions of documents, recorded conversations and financial transactions. In these larger cases, bringing together a team of professionals has proven to be most effective in attacking the government’s theory of the case.
Decades of experience defending federal and state criminal cases provide us with the knowledge, experience and confidence to aggressively defend our clients against any type of government allegation. While much of our practice involves white-collar crime – healthcare fraud, financial fraud, tax evasion, money laundering and foreign currency transactions – we also have vast experience defending against allegations involving extortion, kidnapping, drug offenses, domestic violence, assault and credit card fraud.
Our clients have included accountants, dentists, physicians, pharmacists, attorneys, corporate executives, brokers, financial planners, builders, as well as publicly traded and privately held companies, partnerships and investment funds.
When faced with the unlimited resources the government expends investigating and charging individuals, we level the playing field for our clients through a team approach. Each of our attorneys has a unique set of skills and experiences. We work together to develop the best possible defense strategy – from the review of discovery, independent investigation, retention of experts, pre-trial motions and thorough legal analysis – for every case that warrants such an approach. Our team looks for the flaws and weaknesses in the government’s case, whether it’s the facts or the law, to best position the defense of our clients. We provide big firm aggressive representation at boutique firm prices with individualized attention and responsiveness that comes from a small team.
Robert G. Stahl
Attorney Robert G. Stahl, firm founder, has the experience, skill, determination and peer-recognized ability to protect your rights and freedom. Knowing how cases are built by law enforcement, and more importantly where the weaknesses are, allows him to aggressively defend each client with an attention to detail that leads to the best possible outcome. The firm’s foundation is built on results. We treat each client with respect and dignity; and provide every client with an honest, critical evaluation of their case, something that is absolutely essential to determine how to best defend them.
Mr. Stahl has represented all types of high profile cases from Dias Kadyrbayev, the college student from Kazakhstan who was charged with obstruction in the Boston Marathon Bombing aftermath case; to rabbis charged with kidnapping and money laundering; to a former police officer charged with murder; a pharmacist charged in connection with a massive internet-based pharmacy business, and physicians charged with over-prescribing opioids, receiving kickbacks from vendors and upcoding violations. Mr. Stahl’s credentials and experience include:
- A Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a prestigious association of courtroom-proven professionals across the United States and Canada;
- A Certified Criminal Trial Attorney with nearly 30 years of courtroom and legal experience handling the most complex White-Collar and violent crime investigations and cases;
- New Jersey Super Lawyer, White-Collar Criminal Defense from 2007 to present;
- The Best Lawyers in America, from 2012 through present year;
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers, from 2013 through present year;
- U.S. News & World Report, 2018 The Best Law Firms as Chosen by Their Peers;
- AV Preeminent peer-rated recognition by Martindale-Hubbell from 2001-present;
- Membership and association with the New Jersey Supreme Court, the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the American Association for Justice;
- A former award-winning Assistant U.S. Attorney who prosecuted the largest excise tax fraud case in the history of the United States, as well as a number of organized crime and business fraud cases; and
- Recipient of the Director’s Award and the John Marshall Award, both top national honors from the U.S. Department of Justice
- For more than 20 years, a peer-recognized leader as a masterful researcher and writer who drafts persuasive pre-trial motions, trial briefs, sentencing memorandums, post-trial and appellate motions and trial strategy. Ms. Gasiorowski has worked on an extraordinary range of complex, high profile trial and appellate cases, including capital cases and cases of first impression in federal and state courts. In addition, she has extensively used experts in pre-trial, trial and post-trial settings to aggressively defend her clients.
- Andrew Olesnycky, the former head of the Union County Prosecutor’s Office’s Domestic Violence Unit, joined Stahl Criminal Defense Lawyers in August of 2015. During his nearly five-year tenure with the Union County Prosecutor’s Office, Mr. Olesnycky tried numerous felony cases involving robbery, aggravated assault, gun possession, narcotics offenses, large-scale theft, and fraud. Mr. Olesnycky is one of very few criminal trial attorneys in private practice who has served as a domestic violence supervisor in a county prosecutor’s office, and represents those accused of domestic violence in criminal, civil, and administrative proceedings, as well as victims of domestic violence seeking restraining orders in family court. As a prosecutor, his cases were covered by media outlets including the New York Times, CBS This Morning, NBC4 New York, the Associated Press, the Boston Globe, NJ.com, the Star Ledger, and ESPN.
- Since entering private practice, Mr. Olesnycky has served as lead attorney in state and federal courts defending charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, attempted murder, human trafficking, prescription drug conspiracy, sexual assault, distribution of child pornography, interference with custody, corporate theft, and Superstorm Sandy-related fraud. His cases have been featured in the Daily Record, the Asbury Park Press, the Press of Atlantic City, NJ.com, News12 New Jersey, Pix11, and NBC4 New York.
- Certified as a Criminal Trial Attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court, a distinction earned by fewer than 1% of lawyers in the state.
- Named by the National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 for criminal defense in 2016.
Appeals: Federal and State
Post-trial, our firm also handles appeals at the state and federal levels.
Contact Stahl Criminal Defense Lawyers
Contact us online to set up an appointment or call us at 908-301-9001 for our Westfield, New Jersey office, or 212-755-3300 for our Manhattan office.
At Stahl Criminal Defense Lawyers, we have successfully defended hundreds of individuals targeted by investigations or formally accused of state and federal crimes and we’ll fight to help you prevail. Contact us online to discuss your legal matter.